We love to work with local farms that care about the environment and animal welfare. We rely on the expert advice of The Healthy Butcher to select our meat. Our strong preference, always, is for certified organic meat raised on local farms. However, the following important factors are considered that extend our meat sourcing beyond local and certified organic: (i) Ruminant animals, like beef, that should be fed a diet 100% composed of grass, so we look beyond Ontario simply because our weather does not allow for live pastures year-round; (ii) We take into consideration other certification bodies, like SPCA-certified (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) and Non-GMO Project Certified, as well as farmers raising special heritage breeds to ensure the continuation of diverse genetics; and (iii) When we can work directly with farmers to raise animals according to our stringent principles of using biodynamic farming techniques and the highest animal welfare conditions.
Meat from Ontario:
- Organic Beef - Zettel Family Farms, Cargill ON
- Local Grassfed Beef - Pure Island Beef, Manitoulin Island
- Lamb - Beverly Creek Farms, Milgrove ON
- Organic Pork - From Stratford ON
- Heritage Pork - Perth Pork Farms, Stratford ON
- Duck - Everspring Farms, Ilderton ON
- Chicken - Fenwood Farms, Ancaster ON
- Turkey - Weber's, Elmira ON, B&B Farms, Rosslyn ON
When we can't source the quality or options needed locally, we have scoured the globe to find you the absolute best:
- 100% Grassfed Beef - New Zeland
- 100% Grassfed Venison- New Zeland
- Bison - Alberta
- Elk - Alberta
We source only fish and seafood that is Oceanwise Recommended and from Canadian waters. As such, these fish and seafood products meets the highest standards of sustainability and quality.
To read more about our sourcing policies - click here.