How long does meat last?
- We always recommends cooking fresh meat within 2-3 days after purchase.
- Fresh meat can last longer but it is best to consume at its optimal freshness.
- All the meat is prepped and frozen immediately upon packaging - we maintain that cold chain (keep it frozen, and deliver it frozen) - once it thaws we recommend cooking the meat within 2 days.
- Frozen meat should last for 6-8 months as long as the seal is intact and freezer burn has not happened.
- Once the meat thaws out it is best not to refreeze. You can cook the meat and then freeze it afterwards to increase shelf life.
How do I properly defrost meat?
To defrost correctly you should plan to pull meat from the freezer 24-48 hours ahead of time to allow the meat to naturally thaw in your fridge. In a quick pinch you can have a bowl/insert with cool water and submerge the vac seal bagged meat for 45 mins to 1 hour.
How should I store my meat?
If you purchase something frozen it should stay frozen until you are ready to cook it. Do not allow it to thaw whatsoever. If you buy fresh meat it should stay in the temperature range of 0C-4C. Once it goes above 4C then it is in the danger zone. The longer the meat stays in the danger zone the more quickly it will deteriorate and the quality of product will spoil much quicker.
Why is my meat oxidized?
This is a natural occurrence in meat. We don't add any chemicals or anything to help preserve the colour. Good news, the meat is still perfectly fine to consume within the appropriate time of purchase and that the meat has been properly refrigerated. (2-3 days)
My Grassfed beef doesn't smell good, is it bad?
There are many smells when dealing with meat and we do not alter it at any point and don't use any gases when packaging our meats. 100% Grassfed beef tends to have a stronger odour resembling a more raw-earthy scent to it. It doesn't mean that it is bad, that smell comes from it's diet and how we age our meat. Also, the purge in the bag also contributes to the smell. If the smell is sulfuric then remove the meat from the bag, pat down the meat until dry and let it sit in the fridge for up to 30 minutes. From there the smell should dissipate. If not then from there something could be wrong with the product and contact our Customer Service team.